For those who keep up to date with the culinary delights of the world will know that Peruvian food is the up and coming cuisine of the moment. The South American country’s mouthwatering cured-fish ceviches, spicy mashed-potato causas and tender alpaca steaks are going global.
Last week saw Phil Vickery from ITV’s ‘This Morning’ take us to Peru in search of local cuisine that will tantalise our taste buds. Exploring the jungle, heading up higher than he’s ever gone before, Phil cooked with the Kalahari Bushmen and got to grips with some giant crabs. For his first Cookout, Phil headed to the Amazon rainforest deep in the heart of Peru. He met the local Ese Eja tribe, went fishing for piranhas and got a bit too close for comfort with an eight-legged beastie!
Through exploring the local communities, Phil found out about the classic national dish ‘Ceviche‘, and rustled up his own version on the banks of the river in the Amazon Basin. See below for his recipe to make your own Peruvian Ceviche at home:
- Take 350-500g of any kind of raw white fish and slice.
- Mix juice of 3 large limes and a juice from 2 ripe passion fruit juice together and add to the fish.
- Add ½ a chopped onion and 2 cloves of chopped garlic.
- Add a small amount of finely chopped ginger, about 1 tbps
- Top with some black pepper, a pinch of sugar and salt and mix altogether. Leave to marinade for about 10 minutes.
- To make a salsa take 2 large chopped tomatoes, 1 small red pepper & red onion, 1 tbsp chopped ginger, and 1 clove of garlic crushed mix with juice of 1 large lime and 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil , along with a few sprigs of fresh mint and 1 small chopped, ripe avocado.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
Whilst visiting Peru, Phil had the delight of staying at two of Inkaterra’s properties; The Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel and The Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica. Through South American Adventure Tours, Phil went on a fantastic eight day tour, which includes visits to the colourful city of Lima as well as the former capital of the Inca’s Great Empire ‘Cusco‘ and the majestic lost city of Machu Picchu. This tour includes two chances to stay at the Inkaterra properties. South American Adventure Tours state that ’Peru is a magical country full of mystic encounters, customs, emotions, adventures and a history that will never fail to surprise you’. Don’t miss out on a trip of a lifetime to explore the wonders of Peru – explore today with Inkaterra and South American Adventure Tours.